With another year gone, as we look to the horizons of 2024, it is important to set goals to improve not just yourself but also the environment around you. By adopting a greener, eco-friendly lifestyle, we are not just improving our lives but the lives of those around us, after all, we all share the same planet. In order to help you get started, we’ve compiled this brief guide on how to incorporate better, greener habits into your everyday lifestyle.
- One of the easiest ways to live a more sustainable life is by reducing your reliance on petrol-powered vehicles. For short commutes, it is better to walk or cycle to your destination and if the journey is long, why not use public transport or if possible, carpool with others to reduce fuel consumption.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Plastic remains one of the most common waste products in most parts of the world, we rely on single-use plastic bags, straws, and bottles that we’ll ultimately throw away shortly after use but why not take a look at more sustainable alternatives like for example:
- Cloth bags that can be found in several fun and functional designs.
- Recyclable Straws that are often more durable and do not impact the environment.
- Refillable Water Bottles that often have additional features such as temperature seals, LED displays etc. to help you improve your consumption.
- Another common mistake that we often make is throwing away old clothes, electronics & furniture, as many of these items can be reused or recycled for parts and materials. So instead of throwing away such items, why not earn some goodwill by donating them to charities or thrift stores.
- Water is one of the most precious resources on the planet, so it’s important to be mindful of your consumption. To utilize water in a more controlled manner, we can apply a number of methods such as taking shorter showers, fixing leaks in faucets and pipes etc.
- Energy conservation is also an important aspect of sustainable living & one that is far easier to practice today thanks to automated, energy-saving lights, solar technology and smart devices such as thermostats, switches etc.
Needs & Wants
- Sustainability can also be practiced when purchasing everyday groceries. It is important to support local markets and brands, and by doing so you are greatly reducing your environmental impact thanks to reduced transport-based emissions.
- Before making large purchases, it is important to consider whether you truly require an item or not. If it is a situational requirement, consider renting or borrowing what you require and if a purchase must be made, ensure that you are buying a quality, long-lasting product.
- It is important to maintain sustainability when considering any new purchases as well. Always research and investigate brands that practice ethical, sustainable practices and utilize eco-friendly materials to minimize your impact on the environment.
- Sustainable Living is not just one person’s responsibility, it is important to educate and train others around you in order to truly make a positive impact on the planet.
- You can also participate in local green initiative and activities such as community cleanups, eco-festivals, volunteering with environmental organizations etc. to help achieve a greener future for your community.
Ultimately, sustainable living is a long-term goal and is not something that can be achieved overnight, hence it is important to enjoy the journey, savor new experiences, develop long-lasting memories and learn from the mistakes in order to grow as an eco-warrior, as an individual but more importantly, to create a greener, healthier future for our future generations and for our planet.